The one thing I love more than writing for teens is writing with teens. A former high school teacher, I’ve taught writing in school and community settings. One of the best jobs I ever had was as editor of a girl-generated magazine. Currently, I’m on the faculty of GrubStreet, where I teach in-person (currently remote) and on-line writing classes for teens and adults.
***SPECIAL STAY-AT-HOME OFFERINGS ***
- ONE-ON-ONE SUPPORT (ages 11-18): I’m expanding my one-on-one coaching schedule to teens and tweens during the quarantine. Let’s use this time to develop your creative voice, finish that novel you’ve been dreaming about, or polish up your best material to submit to contests and scholarships. I can help with essays and academic assignments too! (See my rates.)
- POP-IN WORKSHOPS (for groups/schools): Hire me to add some creative juice to your online curriculum! I’m an experienced group facilitator and have led tons of workshops for young readers and writers schools, libraries, and online. I’m available for author chats and lessons on specific craft topics. Tell me what your class is working on, and I’ll bring engaging, authentic exercises that get your students excited to write. (See my rates.)
Regular non-COVID Offerings
I’m available for book clubs and school visits.
I love talking about books and writing with people of all ages. If your class or book club has read A Psalm for Lost Girls–or you’re planning to–I’d love to speak with you! I make in-person visits to schools, libraries, nonprofits, and book groups in the Boston area and am available by Skype for others. My book makes a great jumping off point for discussions about:
- Forgiveness, healing, and self-acceptance
- What it means to be a good girl/bad girl/real woman
- The ups and downs of being gifted
- Navigating family and community conflict
- Embracing your own truth
I’m available to lead workshops too.
I’m an experienced educator and have taught most genres to youth of all skill levels and abilities. My approach is highly interactive—lots of sharing, experimenting, and exploring craft ideas through different modes. My favorite workshop topics include:
- Finding the spark of your story
- Creating characters with beating hearts
- Crafting rich settings & layered plots
- Staying motivated & inspired as a writer
I’d love to design a workshop or series for your school or community.