The one thing I love more than writing for teens is writing with teens. A former high school teacher, I’ve taught writing in school and community settings. One of the best jobs I ever had was as editor of a girl-generated magazine. Currently, I’m on the faculty of GrubStreet, where I teach in-person and on-line writing classes for teens and adults.
***NEW OFFERINGS DURING COVID-19***
These are tough times for everyone. I’ve been a serious, daily for almost 15 years, but somehow have been surprised at how much a brief period of writing can soothe my mind right now. I’m extending the gift of writing to others looking to connect, get creative, and find calm during this time of collective social isolation.
- ONLINE WRITE-INS: During the stay-at-home period, I’m hosting FREE online writing sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays. (Details below.)
- ONE-ON-ONE SUPPORT (ages 11-18): I’m expanding my one-on-one coaching schedule to teens and tweens during the quarantine. Let’s use this time to develop your creative voice, finish that novel you’ve been dreaming about, or polish up your best material to submit to contests and scholarships. I can help with essays and academic assignments too! (See my rates.)
- POP-IN WORKSHOPS (for groups/schools): Hire me to add some creative juice to your online curriculum! I’m an experienced group facilitator and have led tons of workshops for young readers and writers schools, libraries, and online. I’m available for author chats and lessons on specific craft topics. Tell me what your class is working on, and I’ll bring engaging, authentic exercises that get your students excited to write. (See my rates.)
COVID Creative Write-Ins with Katie (18 and up)
Mondays, 12:00-12:45pm EST
ADULT SESSIONS EXTENDED THROUGH MAY
Join author and writing instructor Katie Bayerl for a 45-minute online write-in. We’ll use this mid-day break to do brief writing exercises that get your creative juices flowing and help you stay excited about your writing projects and mentally calm during quarantine. Expect a focus on fiction, with a sprinkling of poetry and personal reflection. We’ll begin with some of my favorite open-ended writing activities and evolve with the interests of the group.
This session is open to experienced writers and newer writers who are ready to use this stay-at-home period to discover their stories.
Download Zoom and register to get the link.
COVID Creative Write-Ins with Katie (teens & tweens)
Wednesdays, 12:00-12:45pm EST
FINAL TEEN SESSION (for now) ON APRIL 22!
Join young adult author Katie Bayerl for a 45-minute online write-in designed specifically for writers ages 11-18, including those who’ve previously taken classes with Katie at GrubStreet, in their school or library, or online. This is a chance to get back in to that story you always wanted to finish or to discover new ideas to keep you happily occupied during the quarantine. We’ll do lots of fun prompts that get those creative juices flowing, and there will be time to share ideas and connect with other writers too.
These weekly sessions are a great supplement to online schooling and homeschooling.
Download Zoom and register to get the link.
Regular non-COVID Offerings
I’m available for book clubs and school visits.
I love talking about books and writing with people of all ages. If your class or book club has read A Psalm for Lost Girls–or you’re planning to–I’d love to speak with you! I make in-person visits to schools, libraries, nonprofits, and book groups in the Boston area and am available by Skype for others. My book makes a great jumping off point for discussions about:
- Forgiveness, healing, and self-acceptance
- What it means to be a good girl/bad girl/real woman
- The ups and downs of being gifted
- Navigating family and community conflict
- Embracing your own truth
I’m available to lead workshops too.
I’m an experienced educator and have taught most genres to youth of all skill levels and abilities. My approach is highly interactive—lots of sharing, experimenting, and exploring craft ideas through different modes. My favorite workshop topics include:
- Finding the spark of your story
- Creating characters with beating hearts
- Crafting rich settings & layered plots
- Staying motivated & inspired as a writer
I’d love to design a workshop or series for your school or community.