Telling an engaging story about a social cause takes skill and heart. I bring both.
I’m an MFA-trained writer with a passion for social change and deep experience in education and nonprofit communications.
I began my career as a 9th grade teacher and went on to manage the communications activities of a national high school transformation initiative, to serve as the communication director of a Boston-based education nonprofit, and to lead a fabulous team of teen journalists to produce an internationally distributed magazine. Check out my resumé.
Today, I work on a freelance basis, helping nonprofits and mission-driven organizations elevate their messages, engage constituents, and inspire action.
• writing clear and engaging stories about complex problems and solutions
• bringing out the energy and emotional value of an organization or initiative
• finding language that is honest, urgent, and resonant for your constituents
• talking about data and research in fresh and accessible ways
• managing all stages of print and online production
• collaborating with graphic designers, web developers, photographers, and videographers to produce top-notch products
• helping organizations select the communications activities that will have the greatest impact over the long term
• deep understanding of issues in K-12 education, school and district change, youth development, literacy instruction, youth voice and leadership, social/emotional development, college and career pathways, teacher education, and professional development
• additional expertise in racial and economic justice, women’s movements, urban history, poverty and demographic change, public health, mental health, early education, higher education, job training, and community philanthropy
I’m a quick study and a social issues nerd–always eager to learn and stretch for a great cause!
How I work
I tailor my services to the needs of each organization. Sometimes I manage production from concept to completion. At other times, I ghostwrite or edit the work of others. I work with some organizations on an ongoing basis and take one-off projects that fit my talents and schedule. (My schedule fills up!)
I can help you produce:
- annual reports
- web content
- brochures and collateral
- white papers & reports
- case studies & practice briefs
- videos and multi-media products
- op-eds, press releases, and more
I like to think big! Tell me your goals, and we’ll find the right vehicle to help you achieve them.